THE CORPORATION CENTER OF EXCELLENCE IN MARINE SCIENCES – CEMarin
OPENS THE CALL No. 16 OF 2019
TO FINANCE THE REGISTRATION IN THE
7th INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON DEEP – SEA CORALS
Published on July 3th, 2019
CEMarin is a mixed and non-profit Corporation, founded by six universities (the Universidad Nacional de Colombia, the Universidad de los Andes, the Universidad de Bogotá Jorge Tadeo Lozano, the Universidad de Antioquia, the Universidad del Valle and the Justus-Liebig University, in Giessen, Germany) that collectively address current problems in the area of marine sciences that can not be solved by isolated individuals or institutions.
Promoted and financed by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) through the “Foreign Science Initiative 2009” program of the Federal Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Germany and the universities mentioned above, this initiative has making possible the scientific cooperation between researchers from the two countries and scientific training of young-doctoral level researchers. As part of activities to fulfill its mission,
CEMarin opens the Call No. 16 of 2019, to support the register and the inscription of CEMarin Early Stage Researchers in the 7th International Symposium on Deep-Sea Corals.
1. DESCRIPTION OF THE 7th INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON DEEP-SEA CORALS
The International Symposium on Deep-Sea Corals is the premier meeting for scientists, explorers, managers, policymakers, industry specialists and students to exchange ideas and share knowledge of deep-sea and cold-water corals and their ecosystems. The Symposium, which has been running since 2000, has taken place in Halifax (Canada), Erlangen (Germany), Miami (EE UU), Wellington (New Zeland), Ámsterdam (The Netherlands) y Boston (EE UU), and during 2019, in its 7th edition, for the first time will take place in South America, in the city of Cartagena (Colombia). In this opportunity, topics of the meeting will include biodiversity, ecology, evolution, environment, climate, fisheries, sponges, associated fauna, mesophotic ecosystems, anthropogenic impacts, technology, and conservation.
VENUE AND DATE:
Cartagena, Colombia, July 29 – August 2, 2019.
● Juan Armando Sánchez, Universidad de los Andes.
● Santiago Herrera, Lehigh University.
● Luisa Dueñas, Universidad Nacional de Colombia.
For further information visit https://www.deepseacoral2019.org
2. CALL OBJECTIVES:
a. Support the CEMarin Early Stage Researchers with the inscription and registration to the 7th International Symposium on Deep-Sea Corals.
b. Provide opportunity for CEMarin Early Stage Researchers to venture actively into socialization scenarios of the results of their research.
c. Give opportunity to CEMarin Early Stage Researchers to disseminate recent scientific and technological advances of their research, with national and international academic peers.
3. AIMED TO:
CEMarin Early Stage Researchers.
4. NUMBER OF SUPPORTS:
Four (4) financial supports.
5. REQUIREMENTS AND DOCUMENTS:
To apply for the support candidates must be CEMarin Early Stage Researchers and must sent an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with subject: Call No. 16 of 2019, attaching the following documents:
a. Letter of motivation stating why this Symposium will contribute to their doctoral studies and the development of their thesis projects.
b. Letter of the thesis advisor stating that she/he agrees that the CEMarin Early Stage Researcher attend the Symposium.
Documentation will be accepted not later than July 17th, 2019, 5 p.m., Colombian time.
The results of the call will be published on the CEMarin web site on July 22th, 2019.
6. COMMITMENTS AFTER RECEIVING THE SUPPORT
Upon receiving funding to participate in the Symposium, the CEMarin Early Stage Researcher must:
- Use the CEMarin affiliation and acknowledge the financing granted by CEMarin in any presentation at the Symposium and in the publications of the scientific event.
- Participate in an interview that will be recorded on video, in which he or she will talk about the work presented at the Symposium and the role of the CEMarin Corporation as a funding entity for his or her participation.
- Send a scientific article to CEMarin, on an innovative subject that has been discussed in the Symposium, to be published in the CEMarin Newsletter or on the CEMarin website. Features:
a) The article must be submitted one month after the event.
b) The article must have between 800 and 1000 words, including the references.
Use Times New Roman or Arial fonts with size 11, line spacing at single lines, and normal margins all around.
c) The article must be written in English.
- Provide CEMarin with five (5) high-quality photos of the scientific event (Full HD, minimum resolution of 1280×720 pixels), and he or she must appear in at least two (2) of them. Photographs must be submitted one month after the Symposium.
Note: All deliverables must be sent to email@example.com.
For further information, please email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at +57 1-3002715.
1.Adriana Sarmiento (Universidad de los Andes)
Open date: July 3th, 2019.
Close date: July 17th, 2019.